Teme Valley Geological Society
The website is currently under going a major upgrade.
It will soon be back with information on geological sites around Martley, details of talks and other events, trail guides, news and all the good content that you have been used from the TVGS site.
For further information contact John at firstname.lastname@example.org (tel. 07749 774432)
We have a full programme of excellent speakers for the 2022 to 2023 season, covering a broad range of topics. We plan to meet at the Martley Memorial Hall (MMH) on the 4th Monday of the month, although a few of the speakers may choose to join us by Zoom.
- 26 September 2022 6pm – Carl Stevenson, Birmingham University, will demonstrate the use of a drone to help log the geology of a local exposure. We will go to a local site to see Carl fly his drone then back to Martley Memorial Hall to see the results of some of his work and after that, a talk by Prof. Ian Fairchild on the Birmingham Erratics. along with a glass of wine and access to the library.
All welcome – please bring appropriate footwear and clothing for outdoor segment and note 6pm start time.
- Saturday 1 October 2022 10am Field Trip to the Dowards Leader: Jim Handley (07538 997211)
- 24 October 2022 7.30pm – Stephen Kershaw, Brunel University, “Reefs and Microbiolites”
- 28 November 2022 7.30pm – Dr Susan Marriott, Bristol University, “Old Red Sandstone rivers and floodplains: processes, palaeosols and trace fossils”
- 23 January 2023 7:30pm – Mr David M Hall, SulGeology Ltd, “The Geology of Yemen: An Overview”
- 27 February 2023 7.30pm – Tim Atkinson, University College London, “Sand Grains on Speed – radioactive particles in the sea off the north coast of Scotland”
- 27 March 2023 7.30pm – Prof. Ian Fairchild, University of Birmingham, “An update on the Anthropocene”
- 24 April 2023 7.30pm – Dr. Simon M Drake, on volcanism in Skye – details to follow